A Travellerspoint blog

Monday 25th September

Cooper Vs Cockroach

View 2006-2007 on lisacoops's travel map.

I was leaving Koh Samui to go to Koh Tao today, so I got up early and went to buy my ticket. As I said earlier, it is really expensive here and it cost me 850 baht!! I had a bus picking me up at about 10.30am, so I got my bags and waited outside the hotel. The bus eventually turned up at 11am and was full, so I crammed in with my luggage.

We got to the port and got on the ferry which was almost empty. It was raining and the sea was really rough so I spent 2 hours watching the horizon and turning a lovely shade of green.

I got to the port on Koh Tao and had a look in my Lonely Planet. There were a couple of places which I was interested in so I fought through the crowd of taxi drivers and started walking.

I climbed up this huge hill and came across Mr J, a Japanese guy who had set up a shop, travel agency, launderette, bank and bungalows on the side of a hill. I had a look at one of the bungalows and it was lovely, with a nice bathroom and huge bed. Plus it was only 300baht and I got a room to myself. I unpacked some stuff and went for a walk along the beach, back to the port and into town. I used the intenet and went for something to eat in an Irish Pub. It started to rain heavily so I made my way back to my bungalow.

I hadn’t met anyone this time and it is hard to meet people when you are staying in separate accommodation, it’s so much easier in hostels. With that I decided I would buy my ticket tomorrow for Bangkok. This place is probably really good with friends and if it is sunny, but I was alone and it was raining.

When I got back to the bungalow I fell asleep and woke up at 7.30pm and contemplated going to a beach party. However, I didn’t know where it was and wasn’t sure if it would be safe to go alone, plus it was still raining. So I rolled over and went back to sleep.

I woke again at 2am, this time I had slept so much that I was wide awake. I was bored, so washed some clothes in the sink and sat on my bed. As I looked up I saw something on the wall. I got my torch and shone it on the wall and saw it was one of the biggest cockroaches I had ever seen. As I shone the light on it, it ran down the wall and across the floor. I couldn’t stamp on it because it would crunch and if I missed it would run off somewhere else! These things are fast! It started to climb up the wall by my bed so I had to do something quick before it went in my bag or in my bed. I got the bucket out of the bathroom and managed, after 10 minutes of panic, to cover the cockroach. I had heard that these things are virtually bionic, so I put a heavy bottle of Aftersun and my Lonely Planet on the bucket to weigh it down, just in case the cockroach was able to lift the bucket and get out again.

I hardly slept all night and couldn’t wait to move tomorrow.

Posted by lisacoops 18:10

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

This blog requires you to be a logged in member of Travellerspoint to place comments.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint